Should You Be Taking Vitamins?
Taking a multivitamin seems like a great way to be healthy – and all you have to do is take one or two pills a day. Have you wondered if you should be taking vitamins?
What Can Vitamins Do?
It is best to get all of your vitamins and minerals from what you eat, but this isn’t always possible. Your doctor may advise you to take a certain vitamin (or multivitamins) depending on your stage in life and also taking into account any medical conditions you may have.
Here are some common vitamins found in multivitamins and how they can help you:
- Vitamin A. This helps your lungs, heart, kidneys, and other organs to stay healthy. It also helps your vision and immune system.
- Folic acid. This is important for women who are in their child-bearing years, as it helps to prevent neural tube defects in the fetus.
- Vitamin C. This boosts your immune system and also makes collagen, which helps to keep skin healthy and also helps with wound healing.
- Vitamin D. This helps your muscles to function and also helps your body to absorb calcium, which keeps bones healthy. Taking a vitamin D supplement may be especially important if you don’t spend a lot of time in the sun, which provides a lot of vitamin D.
- Vitamin E. This, along with vitamin D, helps to keep your cells damage-free while supporting your immune system.
- Vitamin B12. This helps red blood cells to form and helps brain and nerves to function properly.
It’s true that there are so many benefits to taking vitamins – as long as you take the right kind for your needs, you make sure you take them as directed, and you ask your doctor before you start taking them. It is possible to get too much of a vitamin, and there are some medications that should not be taken along with vitamins.
If you are wondering if you should start taking a vitamin supplement, make an appointment to talk with one of the doctors at Women’s Health Medical Group. Call the office in Fort Worth, Burleson, and Lake Worth at (817) 345-5336 to schedule an appointment today.