The Many Benefits of Walking
Walking is such a simple thing you can do that has so many benefits, for both your mind and body. Read on for the many health benefits of getting into the habit of taking walks!
What are the benefits of walking?
People who are hard-core fitness fanatics may pooh-pooh walking as exercise, and it’s true that walking isn’t as intense and challenging as playing tennis for a few hours or jogging for miles and miles. But there are so many physical benefits to this simple act:
• It improves your cardiovascular health
• It increases your energy levels
• It improves your muscle endurance
• It strengthens your immune system
• It improves your balance and coordination
• It can help you to lose body fat and maintain a healthy weight
• It strengthens your bones and muscles
• It can help to manage (or prevent) serious conditions such as type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure
And there are other benefits, too! Walking can
• Reduce your stress levels and can even help you fight depression
• Improve your mood, both right after your walk and in general
• Help you to sleep better
• Improve your concentration
• Provide a way to get exercise without an expensive gym membership
• Give you a chance to have some valuable time alone with your favorite music or an audiobook – or it can be an excuse to spend some time catching up with an old friend
• Be done at your own pace – both a leisurely stroll and a brisk walk will have benefits
• Provide benefits even if you don’t go far – you can just go around the block!
• Be done in any kind of weather – if it is too hot or too cold to go outside, you can always take a few laps around the inside of your local mall
Exercise can do so much to help both your mind and body, but it doesn’t have to be a complicated, intense, and expensive exercise regimen. Walking has so many benefits for your health! The staff at the Women’s Health Medical Group wants to help you to feel your best and to take care of yourself. Call (817) 345-5336 to schedule an appointment today.